A room without a book is like a body without a soul - Cicero

To Be Read Soon!

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Read My Lips by Teri Brown


Popularity is as easy as a good secret.
Serena just wants to fly under the radar at her new school. But Serena is deaf, and she can read lips really well-even across the busy cafeteria. So when the popular girls discover her talent, there''s no turning back.
From skater chick to cookie-cutter prep, Serena''s identity has done a 180...almost. She still wants to date Miller, the school rebel, and she''s not ready to trade her hoodies for pink tees just yet. But she is rising through the ranks in the school''s most exclusive clique.
With each new secret she uncovers, Serena feels pressure to find out more. Reading lips has always been her greatest talent, but now Serena just feels like a gigantic snoop...

                                                                                             -Chapters Canada




So I have been wanting to read this book since, I think even before it came out, which was in 2008.  At this time, I was in High School, and even though my reading choices have evolved since then, this book was still a pretty good read.  The plot was a pretty novel idea, at least as far as I've seen, which is always mucho importanto to me when I choose books I want to read.  There was, however, a liiittle too much teen content for me to totally give myself over to the plot.  I liked the romance aspect (aka: It got heated, and I dig it!), but if you are looking for something deep, this book is not for you.  It deals with preppy high school issues that make for very light, fun reading.



Spolier Alert: Don't read after this point if you don't want to know specific book details!


So the book started off well, though neither boring nor amazingly intriguing.  Typical teen girl trying to fit into a new school.  So why then was it such a novel idea?  Because Serena is deaf.  But this does not leave her completely communication-less; Serena can talk almost normally, and has hearing aids that allow her to pick up on deep voices.  She can also read lips better than pretty much anyone.  Cue gossip-hungry teen females.

So, pretty much the rest of the book is based on how the popular girls recruit Serena to spy on anyone and everyone.  Their teachers, boyfriends, enemies, friends... you name it.  Of course there was some romance thrown in, and even though it was never really developed fully, it did serve as a good palette cleanser to all of the preppy teen, cloak & dagger sorority nonsense that never seems to fully make sense.

In the end, everything wraps up quite nicely, and I must admit it happened not a minute too soon, as there is only so much teen heavy petting that will keep me interested lol.  There was a problem with the sorority, with the boy, with the friends, with the parents... but it all worked out very nicely into a pretty mediocre package.

I'm just glad that I'm pretty sure there will not be a sequel because I would hate to feel obligated to read a book that I really don't want to.  Which usually ends up happening, due to my book-anal-osity.

Stay tuned for more--Cheers & Enjoy♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...