A room without a book is like a body without a soul - Cicero

To Be Read Soon!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

(Random) Reminiscent Reads (3)

Reminiscent Reads is a feature that Cait at A Life Like Mine and I started recently to showcase the books we have read before starting our blogs. From time to time we will choose a few, good/bad, related/not, and do a mini-review explaining a little bit about the plot and our overall opinions.

This weeks's post marks the first Random Reminiscent Reads post, with all of the books being neither Related, Riveting, nor Rotten. They really have nothing in common other than the fact that I have read all of them. I will include a rating as well just to give you an overall idea of my opinion. Enjoy!



FIREWORKS OVER TOCCOA
by JEFFREY STEPAKOFF

♥♥♥♥

I read this book last summer after it was recommended to me on a book website, and promised me heart-jerking, tear-inspiring greatness. Now I don’t know if it was due to my expectations for the book, but it did not seem to deliver completely. Having said that, it’s still a great novel. Definitely still worth reading, and love the incorporation of fireworks and everything they seem to represent.





MEMOIRS OF A TEENAGE AMNESIAC
by GABRIELLE ZEVIN


♥♥♥♥

Another book that I had been dying to read for a while, Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac boasted an amazing plot filled with amnesia and teen love, which are two of my fav things. The premise seemed golden, and this book was on my reading list for a while. I don’t remember a whole lot just now, since I read it a considerable time ago, but I do remember enjoying it thoroughly. It’s a great YA read.




PSYCH MAJOR SYNDROME
by ALICIA THOMPSON

♥♥♥½

This was one of the rare books that I own that was not part of my booklist, and that I bought on a whim after seeing it in Chapters. Seeing that I minor in psych, it’s not hard to guess why it appealed to me so strongly, and the book didn’t let me down. The heroine is in College with her boyfriend but seems to be troubled in the love department. Probably my only complaint would be the predictability of the novel unbeknownst to the lovely heroine. It was slightly annoying, but seemed to win me over in the end.





THE POISON APPLES by LILY ARCHER


♥♥♥

Another book that I stole from Majie dearest due to its amazing cover and overall first impression, The Poison Apples was a little bit lacklustre compared to its radiant cover art. The whole idea was a little bit immature to me, and didn’t really deliver what I thought it could have. Three girls at boarding school decide to exact revenge on their ‘evil’ stepmothers. I could see some potential, but this book is definitely not dynamic in any way.




NICK & NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST
by RACHEL COHN & DAVID LEVITHAN

♥♥½

I chose to read this book after I learned that it was being turned into a movie. I must say that I didn’t really enjoy it. It kind of came across as a ‘slice of life’ book, which is a genre that I loathe. I was consistently frustrated with the characters and the situations they pursued. How the book started out seemed great, but I think that I actually enjoyed the secondary characters much more than the main ones. I guess this book just wasn’t for me.



Let me know your opinions--Cheers & Enjoy♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...