A room without a book is like a body without a soul - Cicero

To Be Read Soon!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Harry Potter Re-Read-a-Ganza!:The Philosopher's Stone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone


"Anything off the trolly, dears?"
     -A line I never forget, and often recite; book.

"She needs to sort our her priorities!"
     -Delivered with comedic perfection by Ron; movie.

"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow, 
          Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow!"
     -The perfectly rhymed, if uneffective, Ronald Weasley spell; book.

"For God's sake, pull yourself together man. You're going into the forest after all. Got to have your wits about ya..."
     -Only Argus Filch can do this the creepy justice it deserves; movie.




Where to begin? Well I guess I should start by stating that it is remarkable and refreshing to be back in the wizarding world among some of my favourite characters. The feeling that I have rediscovered while delving into these wonderful narratives is indescribable. It's as if I've won the lottery on Christmas morning. I just didn't realize how much I missed this! For years and years I have been referencing and remembering scenes only from the movies, and after not having even read the first two books myself (they were read to me by a teacher in elementary school), I've really been missing out on the essence of the original characters, who aren't Daniel Radcliffe or Rupert Grint (even though I do luuurve the latter), but Harry Potter, the reserved and thoughtful yet brave and independent boy who rose above his horrible circumstances, and Ron Weasley, his hilarious and supportive best friend. I am even more excited to experience the Harry Potter Re-Read-a-Ganza! than I originally thought. Which is like, hardly even possible.

As I started the book, I was also caught off guard at the things that I didn't remember from the first book, and also the similarities in the dialogue to the movie. Which is awesome, if bittersweet, since all of those lines already had their own dialects and comedic delivery, and not one that I could imagine myself. One thing that really surprised me that was left out of the movie was the Hogwart's school song that seemed really silly, and as if it didn't belong in the wizarding world. 


               'Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts, 
                    Teach us something please,
                    Whether is be old and bald
                    Or young with scabby knees,
                    Our heads could do with filling
                    With some interesting stuff,
                    For now they're bare and full of air,
                    Dead flies and bits of fluff,
                    So teach us things worth knowing,
                    Bring back what we've forgot,
                    Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
                    And learn until our brains all rot.' 


This also might have been attributed to the fact that it wasn't in the movie, therefore it seemed like it was added after or something.

I was also astonished when I was reminded that the book was only a little over 200 pages. It seemed impossible for my mind to interpret that so much greatness could fit into that seemingly measly amount of pages. But it did. And wonderfully. Said pages were exciting, memorable, dynamic, interesting, heartfelt, scary, triumphant, and most of all: magical!

I won't include a summary or anything, since I think that everyone should know the likes of Harry Potter, but I will say that it really is worth it to experience Harry's journey, even though you may already know it like the back of your hand. This experience so far is so rewarding, and I hope you stick around to experience all of Harry's triumphs and pitfalls with me :)


Various Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone Covers:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...