A room without a book is like a body without a soul - Cicero

To Be Read Soon!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

(Riveting) Reminiscent Reads

Reminiscent Reads is a feature that Cait at A Life Like Mine and I started recently to showcase the books we have read before starting our blogs. From time to time we will choose a few, good/bad, related/not, and do a mini-review explaining a little bit about the plot and our overall opinions.

This post, marking the first post of the feature, is dedicated to Riveting books. So basically just a few stand-alone novels off the top of my head that really stood out as being awe-inspiring. Enjoy :)




KILLING BRITNEY by SEAN OLIN

This is one of the first books that I read that got me back into reading, way back in 2004, and one could argue that it renewed my reading rhythm :) It is YA, but a very freaky one, jam packed with tons of murder and suspense and overall creepiness. I don't remember too many specific details about the book, except that people around Britney kept turning up dead, and, obviously there was intense mystery behind who the culprit was.

One thing I am sure of though: the ending was absolutely fantabulous. I remember it as if it was yesterday, and it was sooo good.





LIVING DEAD GIRL by ELIZABETH SCOTT


I read this book a few summers ago, I think, and it was completely riveting. I recommend it to everyone, although it is saturated with dark content. It’s actually being lent out right now! So basically the book deals with kidnapping and kind of coming of age, but in a very different setting and situation. It is so very sad, yet powerful at the same time. But in a depressing sort of way. If that makes any sense.

It’s a very short read, but the themes are so intricately woven that it will stick with you forever. Overall, read it!




STOLEN by LUCY CHRISTOPHER

Such an amazing narrative! So sometimes my Maj and I have bets on random things, and when we do, I always choose books for my prize (and of course I always win!) This happened to be the random book I chose for one of my winnings. And wow was it ever the right choice. Another book with the kidnapping theme, but with a very unusual love aspect woven within (which may have only been wishful thinking on my part, and a totally dysfunctional one at that).

I also loved the setting of the book, and the fact that the narration is based on a letter to the heroine’s captor. It made the book just that much better. A must-read for sure!





SAVING ZOË by ALYSON NOËL


Wow, I read this so long ago, but the feeling of greatness, I must say, has never dissipated. The plot follows a young girl who has recently been murdered, and she embarks on a journey of truly understanding her deceased sister. I am actually quite surprised that I had the wisdom and understanding to love this book to such a degree at that age, because I know that the type of books that I liked then and the type of books that I like now are so vastly different, mostly because I am not a shallow little high-schooler anymore.

Anywho, I think that this just solidifies the greatness and relatability, even to a younger audience, and conveyed so effectively the emotion and maturity it warranted. I think every young girl should read it, and they would certainly be positively changed after having read it.




THE LAST SUMMER (OF YOU & ME)
by ANNE BRASHARES

This book is the perfect love story. It is so amazing and sublime. I cannot even really describe the emotion that it brings out, and the intricate way that the love story comes to fruition, but it is breath-taking. It’s not like any other love story I have ever read, and although there are also important family plot-lines as well, for me, the love story prevails.

The love is just so pure and right and unconditional and patient and selfless; in one word: perfection.

Stay tuned for more (and for Cait's!)--Cheers & Enjoy♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...