A room without a book is like a body without a soul - Cicero

To Be Read Soon!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Inside the mind of a Book obsessed knowledge monger (4)

Episode 4

I know it's been a while since I contributed to this awesome feature, but I have a few pretty good posts lined up for Musings of Me, so stay tuned!

Today's post is brought to you by music. Crappy re-made music, to be exact, so without further ado:

Why do musicians think that they can re-do great songs and make them better? (AHEM, you can't!)

I mean, they were already amazing, you are obviously not going to top that catchy-melodic gold, so why bother? You're really just embarrassing yourself. And quite frankly, I'm sick of it! I have recently done some research and compiled a list of songs that have irked me and boggled my mind for a while now. Why is this a trend? I know that there is a pretty thick history of artists re-doing songs, but I feel like there is a recent resurgence or trend of laziness that enables these flake-offs to steal other people's hard work and existing hits and auto-tune them into modern garbage. Like WTF?

Exhibit A: Good Morning by Chamillionaire
First of all, that's a horrible name. Also, why do you think you can use the melody from a classic like Tom Petty's Free Fallin' and get away with it? Your song sucks, and so do you. Which is quite unfortunate, because if you had settled for One Hit Wonder status with Ridin' Dirty, you would have remained catchy and OK in my books. Tsk tsk. A tragedy really...

Add Insult to Injury: The Time (Dirty Bit) by Black Eyed Peas
Really? REALLY?? You take a classic song, (I've Had) The Time of My Life, from a classic movie, Dirty Dancing, and do this to it? Talk about putting Baby in the corner! Despicable. That's all I've got to say. Oh, and... DIRTY BIT! (which is the only good thing about this song, and really the only thing saving me from spitting on Fergie, in all her meth-addled glory).

Not Even almost Good Enough: I Wanna Dance With Somebody by These Kids Wear Crowns
Taking such a good song and practically pissing on it with your emo ridiculousness is the highest form of blasphemy. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Whitney Houston, man that woman can sing, and the original I Wanna Dance With Somebody was epic and award-winning. These Kids Wear Crowns? More like These Kids Wear SHAME!

Nice Try: Ghetto Love by Karl Wolf
Anyone who disgraces this beautiful and time-honoured song is truly out of touch. The cute, heartfelt theme song for The Karate Kid II, Glory of Love by Peter Cetera (which is also an Oscar-nominated tune) is music royalty, and should be left that way! I guess old Wolfy did get one thing right: the song did truly go from glory to ghetto.

A for Effort in Originality: Don't Wanna Go Home by Jason Derulo
Jason Derulo♪ (it really must be sung in the manner of which he does in his songs) does get a gold star for at least making a quasi-transformed maybe-hit. But he did still steal the vintage Day-O (The Banana Boat Song) by Harry Belafonte and Show Me Love by Robin S. (Not to be confused with Show Me Love by Robyn). Not acceptable J-bird...

Getting warmer: No Love by Eminem ft. Lil Wayne
This song actually isn't too bad, and since they still used the original, catchy song (What is Love by Haddaway) instead of trying to make it better, I can learn to live with it. Also, I really do like Eminem. Even if Lil Wayne does creep the b'jesus out of me. This behavior still needs to be nipped in the bud though... Then again (as I sit here listening to the song) the lyrics are super awful and kinda scary... and evoke some really not nice nor PG imagery...

So I hope we all have learned our lesson here, and I sincerely wish (for everyone's sake) that this trend is short-lived and we can get back to real TALENTED music.

Oh, to dream--Cheers & Enjoy♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...