A room without a book is like a body without a soul - Cicero

To Be Read Soon!

Monday, September 5, 2011

Insatiable by Meg Cabot



Sick of hearing about vampires? So is Meena Harper.
But her bosses are making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn't believe in them. Not that Meena isn't familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you're going to die. (Not that you're going to believe her. No one ever does.) But not even Meena's precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets-then makes the mistake of falling in love with-Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side. It's a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire hunters, would prefer to see him dead for. The problem is, Lucien's already dead. Maybe that's why he's the first guy Meena's ever met whom she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena's always been able to see everyone else's future, she's never been able look into her own. And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.
Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future. . . .
If she even has one.                                                   -Chapters Canada


Having read almost all of Meg Cabot's other books (and loving all of them!), I had really high expectations for this book. It was only alright.

I didn't really know much about the book when I picked it up (my trust in Meg Cabot is pretty high), and was pretty surprised to find that it was about vampires (which, in retrospect would have been pretty obvious if I was observant enough to look at the cover!). As I have read and loved many other vampire-based books, I decided to give it a chance. Although I am pretty close to being over the whole vampire craze, this book was different enough to keep me interested, set with an independent heroine and funny characters. It did come off as kind of spoofish though, which I'm not sure was intentional or not. Alaric (name of a vampire hunter on The Vampire Diaries) Wulf (wolf? hello... always hate vampires) who is a vampire killer in the book, kind of tipped me off. And then there were lots of True Blood and Twilight references to keep a salivating paranormalist happy. In any case, it did lighten the theme of the book, and I still enjoyed the plot and the romance.

Overall, I think that Meg Cabot fans will still enjoy this light, fun, if supernatural, chick-lit read, that has all the humour and spunk of a usual Meg Cabot novel.

Spoiler Alert: Don't read past this point if you don't want to know specific book details!

As soon as I started reading Insatiable I knew where the plot was going. Average girl meets tall, dark, handsome stranger; soon finds out he's a vampire. What I did like though, was that our Meena actually had second thoughts when she discovered Lucien's secret. Which should be a knee jerk reaction, people! It was plausible, and I liked this aspect. Something I didn't expect also, was Alaric becoming a romantic interest, although this does ring true with mocking other books in the genre (especially seeing as his last name is Wulf!). Anyway, the love triangle seems interesting, and for once I can't really decide how it's going to play out, or how I want it to either. Since this book is the first in a series, I am totally looking forward to seeing who Meena chooses.

Aside from the romantic themes going on, there were also very interesting plotlines woven into the story, with a whole slew of secondary characters that were just as interesting as Meena and her beaus. Her brother Jon's story is far from over, and I really hope that we see more of Leisha and her baby, and Emil and Mary Lou Antonescu.

After reading Insatiable I really am looking forward to learning more about Meena's life, even if this isn't my favourite Meg Cabot novel.

He vants to suck her blood!--Cheers & Enjoy♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...