A room without a book is like a body without a soul - Cicero

To Be Read Soon!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cloaked by Alex Flinn




I'm not your average hero. I actually wasn't your average anything. Just a poor guy working an after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends meet. But a little magic changed it all.
It all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission.
There wasn't a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell in love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I've ever heard. Before I knew it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Everglades.
Don't believe me? I didn't believe it either. But you'll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got cloaked.

                                                                  -Chapters Canada




As soon as I started reading Cloaked, I knew that I would not like it. I immediately wanted to put it down and pick up one of the many other books that I have sitting waiting for me, and would most certainly be more worth my time. Unfortunately, once I start a book, I have to finish it.

Having read and watched Beastly, a book by the same author, and enjoyed both relatively, I really wasn't expecting to so loathe this particular novel. But I did. It was so predictable and really just immature. I didn't find the incorporation of the fairy tales at all interesting, just boring and annoying. I also really hated the main character. He just seemed so transparent and un-genuine. At first, I just pitied the poor dude, but then things kept changing. Sometimes he was pathetic. Sometimes he was clueless. Sometimes he acted like a stud. It was all just so confusing; I didn't like it at all.

I don't really know who to recommend this book to, and I almost feel like it should be categorized as a middle grade novel. The plot was so juvenile and predictable, I really can't think of anyone possibly enjoying it.

Spoiler Alert: Don't read past this point if you don't want to know specific book details!

I really don't want to spend much more of my life doing anything related to this book, but I really do need to vent more about it, if only for closure!

I am really so ticked at how much I hated this book. I almost feel cheated, since I really did like Beastly and was seemingly promised equal greatness in this book. The cover just seems to evoke an eerie fairy-tale narrative promises depth. Just like in Beastly. The Beauty and the Beast re-telling definitely worked there. But here, oh no. It was just so silly. I didn't find Johnny believable, with his dreams of designing shoes (really? shoes?). It just seemed all wrong for him. And then how clueless he was. Everything was so obvious the minute it happened which was just so annoying. I knew right when his father was mentioned that he would turn up later on. I knew the minute the Fox entered the story that he was the Dad. And with Meg. It was all too much. Just pushing the reader back and forth. There was too much going on. It was way too many annoyingly obvious twists going on at once. And the magic just seemed ridiculous. Such random things that weren't well thought out at all.

And the whole princess and prince were so obnoxious and tacky. I really just hated the whole thing. This book is sloppy, immature, and not really worth anyone's time. I'm actually being quite generous with my 2 rating. I really do love the cover though.

I'm a meanie, I know--Cheers & Enjoy♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...