A room without a book is like a body without a soul - Cicero

To Be Read Soon!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Milkrun by Sarah Mlynowski



Must think happy thoughts. Julie Andrews dancing. Cadbury's chocolate Easter eggs. But no amount of positive thinking changes the fact that Jeremy-—the man of my dreams, the man I would marry, the man who should spend his whole life worshipping me and lavishing me with kisses-—went to Thailand to find himself.

Obviously I''m not as cute and witty as I thought I was, since while I''ve been sitting around every weekend, he's been sleeping with half of Thailand. And then he found Someone Else. That someone not being me.
I have been pathetic.
But now I will date. I will become the queen of dating. I will forget all about him.
Single in Boston, that's me. But not for long…
                                                                             -Chapters Canada

I have wanted to read this book for just about forever, and decided to just buy it already!  It wasn't a huge disappointment, but let's just say I wouldn't be lacking some earth shattering awesomeness if I had put off buying it for another little while.

It was very light and is definitely chick-lit.  Very girly with pretty equal parts friendship, family, and romance.  One thing I did really enjoy was the humour of the author, and I think that must be why her books are still on my list.  This just wasn't one of my favs.  I found the intro to kind of last forever and was pretty disappointed in the ending.  I just found myself not satisfied, but still worth reading.

Spoiler Alert: Don't read past this point if you don't want to know specific book details!

So the book starts out with what I would call a pretty lengthy introduction.  Like I get that the inciting incident happens to be that this pretty cheesily pathetic guy, Jeremy (who we know all too quickly is not a winner), breaks Jackie's heart, which is kind of just sad for me, because he is totally skeevy, and really does not deserve all the attention.  So right off the bat I was kinda annoyed with our female protagonist.  I was however happily distracted with the uncanny similarities to my life, which are described quite humorously. I know this is not especially for me, but it definitely got my attention.

This launches Jackie (and eventually her much more likable roommate) into the club scene, and a few pretty terrible dates, which Jackie definitely does not foresee.  I actually found it kinda endearing how naive she was. And the dates were a pretty humorous addition, although I could tell that Andrew was her perfect match all along. If only she would have been stronger and realized it, as well as staying away from her skeeze-bag ex-douche-ball.  But probably the biggest let down was the ending. These light, fluffy books do not usually disappoint me! That's usually one thing I can count on: a happy ending that wraps up like a perfect little amouse-bouche. But not this time folks.  We had to have ambiguously disappointing instead. Boo!

Not much else really happens. At least not that I can remember, which seems pretty bad ... but it's just the truth.  Definitely not something for a reader who is looking any deeper than a $2 scratch lotto ticket...


More Momentarily--Cheers & Enjoy♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...